Every new year brings a plethora of new blockbusters and every new action, horror, thriller, or superhero movie brings new villains. Sadly, they mostly bring quite poor villains. A good villain truly feels like a dime a dozen. This year had a handful of really good ones, a dozen or so that were okay, one that was truly great (but hated for being such a perceived betrayal of the character people loved), and a whole bunch of blah. Here are the 6 okay ones, 5 really good ones, and 1 great/terrible one. Enjoy!
12. Colin Farrell as Percival Graves, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
This character is kind of a cheat because the coolest thing about him is the potential of what he’s going to become in subsequent chapters, but he’s still creepy enough at times.
11. Mads Mikkelsen as Kaecilius, Doctor Strange
Kaecilius certainly does some cool shit. He also has few monologues that are decently written, but he is certainly not menacing or frightening or unpredictable. He’s just cool enough to work as a baddie in this really cool movie.
10. Stephen Lang as The Blind Man, Don’t Breathe
This dude is a mad screwed up pile of shit and it comes across with menace in this film. However, he’s also a bit ridiculous and offensive. So, a mixed bag here, but a good bad guy.
9. Daniel Bruhl as Baron Zemo, Captain America: Civil War
His plan is much more sinister than his actual personality. Yet, what he accomplishes becomes one of the best third act twists of the year.
8. Ralph Fiennes as The Moon King, Kubo And The Two Strings
He may not show up until two thirds of the movie is over, but Ralph Fiennes voice brings a proper menace to the myth of the Moon King.
7. Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse, X-Men: Apocalypse
I love and loathe things about Apocalypse. Mostly, his problem is that he’s all powerful and his look is kinda cool, but kinda not.
6. James Earl Jones as Darth Vader, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
He only has two scenes, but they are quite possibly the two best scenes in the movie. And that’s saying a lot because there are tons of excellent sequences in this movie. So cool to see Vader kick ass again.
5. Ben Mendelsohn as Director Orson Krennic, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The true villain of ‘Rogue One’, Mendelsohn is a true force. He’s a military director who is trying to climb the ranks by delivering the ultimate weapon of destruction. He delivers his pain with words and the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. That’s a pretty bad dude.
4. Idris Elba as Shere Khan, The Jungle Book
Man, when Sheer Khan shows up in this movie it is bad ass and 90% of the reason for that is Idris Elba’s wonderfully evil voice.
3. John Goodman as Howard Stambler, 10 Cloverfield Lane
You never know what is going on with Howard in this movie and it constantly causes you to wonder about his motivations. When it’s revealed you will be even more on the edge of your seat.
2. Aaron Taylor Johnson as Ray Marcus, Nocturnal Animals
It’s amazing to me that there is actually someone on this list that is more evil than Ray Marcus. This character is a pride filled prick who commits the two worst acts a human being can and doesn’t bat an eye over it. His reaction to pain and suffering is disgustingly cold and will stick with you long after the movie.
1. Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
Many people hated the new version of Lex, but I absolutely love the direction they took him. He is pure evil. He’s sadistic, methodical, and a down right terrorist. His ideology is twisted and his plan is truly disturbing until it just becomes desperately violent. I also love the twitchy and irritable manner in which he plays the role. At times he is like the Riddler meeting the Joker in a business suit. He is a perfect metaphor for Donald Trump and what I believe his policies would do to America. A ballsy creation and my favorite of the year.
Latest posts by Nathan Ligon (see all)
- Movie Review: ‘Dolittle’ Is Not Quite Terrible - January 17, 2020
- Movie Review: ‘Underwater’ Is 2020’s First Disappointment - January 11, 2020
- Movie Review: ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Blu-ray Is The Sequel Fans Have Been Waiting For - January 10, 2020