It may have been a fairly weak year for villains, but we have had a plethora of great heroes. In fact, there were so many that it’s impossible for me to have gotten to all of them. So, I have just listed the top 12. I know, breaking from tradition. Here are the best heroes of the year.
12. Ben Affleck as Batman, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
Affleck got a lot of shit when he got cast as Batman, but he turned out to be pretty bad ass. As a matter of fact, he’s one of the only positive points everyone could agree on.
11. Andrew Garfield as Desmond Doss, Hacksaw Ridge
This man is not a traditional war hero. He’s a consciences objector in a war zone that managed to save 75 men. He’s the kind of hero we should look up to.
10. Tom Holland as Spider-Man, Captain America: Civil War
We may have gotten to many versions of Spider-Man in the last few years, but that doesn’t change how perfect a job they did casting this new one.
9. Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Captain America: Civil War
A super cool new addition to the Marvel team and a character who is expertly shoehorned into a hero stuffed movie.
8. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad
I love this character and this may be the best she’s ever been done. I know she is not typically a hero, but When she goes all Phoenix in the end it is totally amazing!
7. Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Couldn’t be a better character to fill Harry Potter’s shoes. Newt is charming in an anti-social way and has a big heart for his creatures. He’s also got the mad wizarding skills.
6. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Deadpool
The truth is that Deadpool is an asshole and a murderer, but he’s got decent cause to be. He’s also the funniest superhero since Iron Man. Which has to count for something.
5. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman,
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
The coolest hero of the year gets the least amount of screen time, but she also gets the sweetest theme music and the most bad ass intro of any character this year.
4. Auli’i Cravalho as Moana, Moana
This is a Disney princess who is actually a badass chick that little girls can look up to. She stands up for what she believes in, one ups a Demi-God, and goes toe to toe with a couple giant monsters. Sounds like a hero to me.
3. Art Parkinson as Kubo, Kubo and the Two Strings
Kubo is so cool. He is a small boy that is forced to face unimaginable terrors at such a young age, but he can manipulate paper in wondrous ways that become more unique as he grows.
2. Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Stephen Strange, Doctor Strange
Benedict Cumberbatch as a magic wielding super hero. Enough said. Can’t believe anything else could be better.
1. Felecity Jones as Jyn Erso, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Another brilliant female lead in a Star Wars movie and this time she is the heart and soul of it all. Everyone else is in service of her in this movie and she earns the right to lead them. This is a hard corp war movie, but the ultimate war hero is a little women played by Academy Award nominee Felicity Jones. I’m so glad that my little girls have powerful female role models like this. Keep it up Lucasfilm!
- Movie Review: ‘The Many Saints of Newark’ Is A Solid Cautionary Tale - October 2, 2021
- Movie Review: ‘The Card Counter’ Shows A Cost Of War After It’s Over - September 11, 2021
- Movie Review: ‘In The Heights’ Is A Musical Triumph On Blu-ray - August 25, 2021