Despite the fact that a handful of much anticipated titles did not make it to release this year, there were a number of unforgettable games. Even more awesome is the fact that Nintendo made a real comeback with the Switch. Hopefully, they can really push out more third party titles and become a truly competitive force.
Here are the 12 best video games of 2017!
12: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Xbox One, PS4)
While the missions occasionally veered repetitive, this title has many hours of fun and the ability to work together online.
11. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One, PS4)
An outstanding follow up in the Wolfenstein series. Intense narrative and exciting action keep this game going for a pretty decent length of gameplay.
10. Assassin’s Creed: Origins (Xbox One, PS4)
The best this series has had to offer in years. It’s not revolutionary like the original, but it does feel like something different for the first time in quite some time.
9. Middle Earth: Shadow of War (Xbox One, PS4)
If you are a Lord of the Rings fan and would love to build armies than this might be your favorite game ever.
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo Switch)
This was a huge surprise. I thought that it was just going to be a port, but they added so much content that it was like an entirely new game. Thanks Nintendo!
7. The Evil Within 2 (Xbox One, PS4)
This sequel might not have been as frightening as it’s predecessor, but by the end I was surprisingly moved by the resolution of the narrative.
6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Many thought this franchise was dead, but this exciting spin off was a blast from start to finish. I look forward to more of these characters in the future.
5. Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)
Many would argue this is the best game of the year, and that could be true. However, I only got to play about 15 hours. So, I can’t tell you how well it sustains (son won’t stop playing it), but what I played was fantastic.
4. Destiny 2 (Xbox One, PS4)
Many felt this wasn’t a big enough departure from the original, but I say hum bug. This game was a blast for nearly 30 hours of my time and I still can’t waut to return to that world again.
3. Resident Evil: Biohazard (Xbox One, PS4)
Quite possibly the scariest game ever made. Turn on your Dolby digital surround, turn off the lights, and strap in for one hell of a ride.
2. Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)
Any other year this would have taken the crown. This game is so inventive that I found myself smiling from the new things I was doing when I was over 15 hours into the game. You add in the fact that the replay ability feels infinite and you have Thebes greatest Mario game of all time.
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
Aloy is the best new character in any movie, game, or television show to grace a screen this year. You throw in the most beautiful looking game ever made, the most fluid gameplay mechanics of the year, an open world of machines that you could spend hours taking down or taming, with a story that is absolutely unforgettable, and you have one of the greatest games of all time!
- Movie Review: ‘The Fabelmans’ Is Spielberg’s Most Intimate Film Ever! - November 27, 2022
- Movie Review: ‘She Said’ Is An Expert Account of Journalism That Changed A Nation - November 21, 2022
- Movie Review: ‘Nope’ Might Be The Biggest “Yes” Of The Summer! - July 24, 2022